Friday, November 21, 2008

I pledge to save water, as every drop counts!

I saw this underprivileged boy this morning at a traffic junction. He was quenching his thirst with the water leaking from the tanker’s outlet. The boy appeared very thirsty but the signal turned green and the water tanker moved. The boy, I guess, remained thirsty.


















I couldn’t stop myself from capturing this moment using my mobile phone. The boy, however, has left several questions in my mind…

Am I wasting water? Am I consciously saving water every day?

Do I let the water running while I brush my teeth/ shave? Can I close the tap during all such activities?

Do I use water judiciously while taking a shower/ bath? Or do I just use it because it is flowing through the tap?

Do I drink the water left in the water bottle overnight at my desk? Or do I just empty the water bottle in to the sink, saying “this is stale water, from yesterday”?

Do I stop the person waiting on me at the restaurant from refilling my glass of water after the meal is over and the cheque is being settled? In most cases, this glass full of water goes waste as I walk away after settling the cheque.

Do I monitor the quantity of water being used to wash my car? Can I make do in just half a bucket (10 – 15 liters) as against using a hose pipe to wash the car?

Is the washing machine at home being serviced at regular intervals to ensure optimal usage of water?

If I’m buying a house/ apartment, did I ask the developer if the building is equipped for rain water harvesting?

Do I insist for a 24x7 water supply in the apartment/ house where I stay? Do I really need a 24 x 7 water supply?

Am I aware that water is a perishable resource? Am I spreading the awareness whenever & wherever possible?

I pledge to save water, as every drop counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment